Here are some of the top science fiction films that you can add to your Netflix Instant Queue right now!
I love a good sci fi movie, and I recently learned that some of the greatest science fiction films are available to watch on Netflix Instant Streaming – which is great news! So, if you are in the mood for aliens, cult classics, campy B-movies or just some good classic sci fi movies Netflix has you covered!
- Blade Runner: Theatrical Cut (1982) Rated R : A man is called out of retirement in a future Los Angeles to take out androids in this re-edited version of a famous film directed by Ridley Scott and starring Harrison Ford.
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind: 30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition (1977) Rated PG : After a man encounters a UFO he seeks out others who have had similar experiences. Directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Richard Dreyfuss.
- Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981) Rated R : Mel Gibson stars as Mad Max, the man who hunts for gasoline in a post-apocalyptic Australia.
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) Rated PG : A biologist and a health inspector notice a strange type of alien invasion.
- District 9 (2009) Rated R : A business conglomerate forces aliens that have landed on Earth into containment zones and slave labor… until a government agent tries to help out.
- The Fifth Element (1997) Rated PG-13 : Bruce Willis stars as a futuristic cab driver who helps a strange girl fight to save the universe.
- Starship Troopers (1997) Rated R : Soldiers travel to an alien planet to fight “bugs” – based on Robert A. Heinlein’s famous novel.
- Fire in the Sky (1993) Rated PG-13 : Based on the (true?) story of an Arizona logger who claims to have been abducted by aliens in 1975.
- Monsters (2010) Rated R : The U.S. – Mexico border is “infected” with aliens – which is where a photographer tries to save his boss’s daughter.
- A Clockwork Orange (1971) Rated R : A teenage miscreant wanders aimlessly amid a bleak, futuristic urban landscape. Directed by Stanley Kubrick and starring Malcolm McDowell.
- Johnny Mnemonic (1995) Rated R : Keanu Reeves stars as a man who must deliver the sensitive information stored in his head before he dies… or is killed. Based on William Gibson’s famous short story.
- Sphere (1998) Rated PG-13 : A team of scientists investigate an alien ship at the bottom of the ocean. Based on Michael Crichton’s novel, and starring Dustin Hoffman, Sharon Stone and Samuel L. Jackson.
- Tin Man (2007) Not Rated : A 3-part, Emmy-nominated miniseries which puts a sci-fi spin on L. Frank Baum’s Wizard of Oz story.
- Fantastic Voyage (1966) Not Rated : A group of medical experts miniaturize themselves so they can enter a man’s body and remove a blood clot.
- Godzilla: King of the Monsters (1956) Not Rated : Godzilla awakens from his 1,000 year slumber and stomps on Tokyo in this first of many Godzilla movies.
- Attack of the 50 Ft. Woman (1958) Rated PG : The campy classic about a giant woman who takes out her frustrations on the town.
- Bicentennial Man (1999) Rated PG : A robotic servant begins to experience feelings and creative thought. Based on the short story by science fiction grandmaster Isaac Asimov.
- Starman (1984) Rated PG : Jeff Bridges stars as an alien who crashes on Earth and takes the form of a recently deceased man.
- Hellboy (2004) Rated PG-13 : A demon summoned by Nazis decides to fight for good rather than evil. Based on Mike Mignola’s comic book series and directed by Guillermo del Toro.
- 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) Rated G : Strange monoliths appear throughout the solar system, and an evil computer terrorizes some astronauts! Based on Arthur C. Clarke’s short story “The Sentinel”
- Timecop (1994) Rated R : Jean-Claude Van Damme stars as a policeman who goes back in time to stop a corrupt senator.
If you liked this article then you may be interested in these posts as well: